CHECK OUT MY EBAY LISTINGS

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shipping Pricing Tips for eBay, Part I

 Click here to take a look at my eBay listings

When selling on eBay, your shipping cost accuracy can make or break you.  Avoid beginner mistakes and save money by using these tips.  This is two-part post.  In part one, I'll give you information on estimating shipping and how to put it in your listing.  In part two, we'll discuss the process of shipping after the auction.

It's extremely helpful to gather a scale and the packing materials that will work for your item.

The scale could be a kitchen scale or postal scale.  Just make sure it's large enough to hold your item.  If you are listing a smaller item, your scale should measure down to the ounce.

If you are listing a smaller item, a padded envelope works great.  Try not to make the package significantly larger than the item itself.  Use your judgement and include more room and packing materials for more delicate items.  When I am listing jewelry, I'll typically put it in a small ziplock, then a small jewelry box if I have it, and put that in a padded envelope.  Sometimes I'll wrap bubble wrap around the box or bag.  I rarely, if ever, buy materials for packing.  When I need packing materials, I put out a request on my local Freecycle.  All my friends and family know to save packaging for me.  Obviously, if you're not looking to make a business out of it, you probably don't need to go to these lengths!

While you are listing your item:  when you get to the part to determine shipping costs, go up to the top of the screen and click "Save for Later" so you can focus on the shipping part.  This also ensures you don't lose your listing should you lose your internet connection.  Pack your item as though you are going to ship it.  I know, it's a pain and you may just want to get your item listed, but 1) it will save you time when it's time to ship, and 2) you need to do this to accurately calculate your shipping cost.

Don't tape up the item in case you need to access it to answer questions.  Weigh the item.  I like to note somewhere on the box or envelope the item name and weight.  I usually put it where it will be covered up by the shipping label.

I pretty much always use calculated shipping.  There are exceptions, but I'll just deal with calculated for this post.  The list below will help you determine what type of postage you should use for shipping within the U.S.:
  • 13 oz and under:  use Package, and First Class with delivery confirmation.  You'll want to add the 19 cents charge in the handling cost.  I have a note in my description that tells my buyer that I'm adding 19 cents for delivery confirmation.
  • over 13 oz:  use Package again, but use Parcel Post with delivery confirmation.  Occasionally, Priority will be cheaper than Parcel Post.  If your item is very heavy but small, you might want to compare pricing for a small Priority Flat Rate Box or envelope.
This next part is quite important and where it can get confusing.  If your item is large, you are at serious risk for undercharging your buyer for shipping.  If you item is somewhat large, say larger than 18" in any dimension, make sure you get a box and packing materials beforehand, pack it up, weight it, and measure the box.  You can put the dimensions of the box in the calculator and the calculator will add the surcharge if the item is oversized.  Sometimes I find it helpful to use the shipping calculator to see sample actual rates for the shipping.  If they are astronomical, I might note in my description that I will cover some of the shipping cost to encourage people to bid.  Also, if you find they are astronomical, you might do better to list it locally, on either eBay or other local classifieds.  You can also compare UPS rates to see if they are cheaper.

The most important things to take away are to pack the item as though you are shipping it and weigh the item.  Measure the package and input the dimensions if it's larger.  Ta 'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment