CHECK OUT MY EBAY LISTINGS

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shipping Tips for eBay, Part II

Check out my listings on eBay

This post is part 2 of some tips I've learned about shipping for eBay along the way.  For part 1, please click here.  This process uses a printer to print your postage yourself, which is going to be more efficient than purchasing postage at the post office.

Assuming you've already packed and weighed your items and properly set up shipping costs, actual shipping should be a breeze.  Needless to say, don't ship items until they have been paid for.  If the buyer pays with a check, I usually wait until it clears before shipping.  Of course, it's up to you whether or not you decide to take checks.

The first thing I do is print a packing slip for each paid order.  You may skip this step, but I'll share it just in case you decide to do it.  If you are trying to build a business on eBay, it can push your professionalism up a notch.  After trying a few different methods, I've found that I prefer to go to My eBay (upper right)/Awaiting Shipment (list on left).  There, you can select all the items that are awaiting shipment by checking the box in the first column, then clicking Shipping Action/Print shipping labels or invoices.  Next, under Invoice and Address Labels, select Invoice/Packing Slip.  Finally, eBay will open a print preview window where you can then print using your browser's menu.

Next, I use my packing slips to pick the items that have been paid for, match the packing slips with the packages, and bring the packages over to my computer area.

Thoughts on software used to print postage:  right now, if I only have one item, I'll usually do it through PayPal.  PayPal has a multiple order processor, but I find it cumbersome to use in comparison to the Stamps.com software.  So if I have multiple orders to send, I'll use my Stamps.com desktop software.

You should already have the weights on your items, but make sure you do any final taping or rubber banding of the inside packaging if applicable.  From there, you'll use the software of your choice to print your labels.  I usually double check the weight (and package size, if applicable) with the software before printing the labels.  You can choose to print your labels on a 2-per-page label or on regular paper.  Obviously, you'll tape the label on if you use paper.  Labels can be a good time-saving investment.  If you use labels and are printing from PayPal, it prints a confirmation on the 2nd part of the sheet.  To avoid wasting a label, you can probably just fold the paper in half so that it only prints on one of the labels.  You'll lose your confirmation this way.  I find the confirmation unnecessary since the information is electronically in so many different places.

Hopefully that will help you refine your shipping process.  Any suggestions for improving mine are more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment